North Korea said on Monday that it will restore cut inter-Korean hotlines starting Monday, but urged South Korea to step up efforts to improve relations, state media KCNA reported.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressed his willingness last week to reactivate the hotlines, which North Korea cut in early August in protest against joint military exercises between South Korea and the United States, just days after reopening them for first time in a year.
The official KCNA news agency said the lines will reconnect on Monday at 9:00 am (1200 GMT), but asked Seoul to fulfill its “tasks” to regain strained cross-border ties, without giving further details.
Kim had urged South Korea to abandon its “illusion” about what it calls North Korean military provocations.
“The South Korean authorities should make positive efforts to put the ties between the North and the South on the right track and solve the important tasks that must be prioritized to open the bright prospect in the future,” KCNA said.